So far I had the big white canvas. Then I had to make further decisions on how the numerics actually should look like. Once more I brainstormed and discussed several options with my mentor Carl-Oscar.
Here is why I chose the ones that you can see on the finished paintings:
I went for black on white background – to create a slight association with dollar banknotes and a strong contrast. At the same time I wanted simplicity. No color should distract. It should look like a simple numeric on white ground, easily reproducible.
Since the “1.000.000” had to fit on the canvas I had to measure the maximum size of the numerics.
Below you can see how I tested the sizes with printed numerics on A4 paper. This gave me an impression how the end result was about to look.
I also had to choose whether I want the “1” on the $1 painting to be the same size as the “1” on the $1.000.000 painting.
I chose the same size because I liked the idea that the difference between the paintings actually is just an added zero to the previous picture. All “offer” the same “1” and “0”.
To add a feeling of a banknote to the painting I was looking for a serifed typeface. After testing several versions I went for the very classic Times New Roman. This gives a certain width and proportion that I found perfectly fitting. And again, also this factor stands for simplicity.
More about the painting technique in the upcoming post.